If you want to have job as a foreigner in Germany, in addition to a residence permit you will also need a work permit.


Citizens of the EU and Europe

As a citizen of Europe or the EU, you require neither a visa nor do you need to apply for a residence or work permit for entry into Germany. For some European countries, there are limitations. In these cases, special permits are required to be applied for at the Federal Employment Agency at the Central International Placement Services (ZAV). When all these requirements are fulfilled, it is possible to work in Germany.


Citizens of third countries

For citizens from all countries outside Europe: You will need a residence permit that allows you specifically to work in Germany. The Residence Act has following residence permits:

  • residence (temporary residence permit)
  • settlement permit (permanent residence permit)
  • permanent residence-EC

Do you have any questions? Please feel free to get in touch with us. We will help you with all matters concerning employment and resident law.